19 April 2008

We Gave a Family a Place to Call Home

We have a basket of flowers that sits under our light by our front door. Its been there for about as long as we have lived in this house. Almost two years. I kept telling myself that I needed to take that basket down or at least update the flowers that were in the basket. I never got around to it. Over the last couple of months we have noticed birds flying in and out of our porch area by the front door. I didn't think much of it, until today. I saw the bird perched in the flowers and I wondered. My curiosity led me to get a chair from my dining room, stand on it and peek into the bunch of flowers. There was a nest packed full of baby birds. I don't know how old they are because I'm not an expert. I couldn't even tell you what kind of birds they are. Taylor's best friend Chance was over, so I took the opportunity to give these young guys an up close glimpse at what baby birds look like. I picked them (the kids) up one at a time and let them peek in for a few seconds. They were all amazed at the birds and couldn't believe that we actually had a nest there! Obviously we can't take the basket of flowers down. So the babies will stay there until they decide to leave the nest and we will keep watch on the basket to see if the birds completely leave or not. Since I'm not an expert, I'm not too sure as to what birds do. I'm assuming they venture off and find a new home that suits their needs. Anyhow, we wanted to share this with you all, and I even sneaked in a few pictures! We will try our hardest to update the baby bird pictures without disturbing the babies or the parents.

No comments: