25 January 2009

It's Been 4 Years & He's Still a Nut!

Today is Austyn's 4th birthday! Can you believe that 4 long years have passed us by? It definitely doesn't seem like it. Not long ago, Austyn was a little baby that drove me bonkers with his crazy antics, so not a whole lot has changed since then! Austyn has been my 'problem' child in every way, and I mean that in a loving mom kind of way, not an OMG kind of way. lol. He was born early, always seemed to have a cold or be sick and he started walking at 9 months old! Ever since then, I have been trying to keep up with that boy. He is literally a ball of everlasting energy. He rarely tires out, but I guess it sort of keeps me on my toes. These days he is a lot more energetic and a lot more crazy! He also has something to say what seems like every moment of the day. He's constantly asking questions and is always curious about things. He is the kid who will poke you in your eye and ask you if it hurt, and why, and how, and then apologize. He's been in preschool since September and that has been going good. Unfortunately, I think his run with part day, part week school has come to a screeching halt. There was mention of psychologists, therapists and social workers having to come in and intervene with several of his classmates. After witnessing some of the shocking behavior for myself, I have decided that he will no longer attend school there. The teacher mentioned that several of the students have psychological, emotional and behavioral issues that need serious help. I just don't want Austyn thinking those behaviors are okay, he acts out sometimes and I think I may have found the source of the problem. The school he goes to isn't public school and they won't just 'kick' students out due to these problems. If it were the school Taylor goes too, they would have already gotten rid of those preschool kids and sent them to get help. This school is more along the lines of, well if we lose those kids we need to find 2 more to fit the bill....literally. Don't worry, I won't be yanking my kids out of school and sheltering them and homeschooling them. Austyn will go to an alternative class the same days and times and still have social and educational interaction with kids.
Okay, so back to Austyn...my fruitcake. He makes me laugh a million times a day. He can be such a monster and a cuddle bug all at the same time. He gives Mark 'knuckles' over the phone, and insists upon it. He opts for air hugs, air kisses and air high fives when you are too far away for the real thing. He loves music, loves to dance and sing. He has quite the imagination. He loves playing rough with Taylor and likes taking out the boxing gloves and beating up on him. Boys. I tell you. He also loves sitting down and having tea with Ryleigh in her house. He loves to draw and paint. We spent an hour painting yesterday. It calms him down. It doesn't quiet him down, just calms him. lol. He spent the night at a friend's house one night and I said, he talks ALL the time, and you will probably get annoyed. Her response was, oh, no, J does the same thing, so I'm used to it. Well, the next morning when we picked him up, she gave me this look, like...holy crap! She said...you weren't kidding! He kept asking question after question and asked why to every response I gave him. All I could say was I told you so. Our plans for today are just to hang out and play, and have birthday cake, of course! He's excited that he's four today and not three. He's not little anymore! He's big. Its hard to believe that this time last year Taylor was the three year old. How time flies.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I hope Austyn had a great day, and has A wonderful party, we are sad not to come. I can't believe it's been 4 yrs either, don't you just want to turn back time somedays, somedays it just feels like it's passing me by!:( But they get better every year too.