11 September 2008

The Day Not Yet Forgotten

It doesn't seem as though it has been 7 years to the day that the tragedy of September 11th unfolded.
Where were you when you heard the news?
We were living in Virginia Beach at the time, and I was in bed sleeping. Taylor, who was almost 7 months old was sleeping in his crib. Mark was also asleep. The phone rang and it was our roommate's mom. I was groggy and didn't quite understand what she was saying. She was asking where Sam (her son, our roommate) was. And she started rattling off about New York City and terrorist airplanes. I believe I just mumbled, yeah okay and hung up the phone. Mark asked who it was and I told him that Sam's mom was calling and she was freaking out about something and she was crazy, with a capital C! Sorry. I'm not trying to make light of the situation. Its what really happened. So, she called again, and she told me to listen to her and to turn on the TV. I thought, okay, I'll make this crazy lady happy, and I'll turn on the TV. I did, and all I could say was that I was sorry. I hung up the phone and for the rest of the day, all I could do was sit and watch with feelings of horror, disbelief, sorrow, anger and compassion.
I was scared to death that Mark would be deployed to go overseas immediately. He had just gotten back in December of the previous year. I was scared for myself, our roommates and for Taylor. I wondered what the future would be like for us as a family. Would things change dramatically, and would he have the luxury of growing up in a free country like I did? So many questions and thoughts ran through my head that day and the days that followed.
I thought about airline security and how awful they were at checking tickets and identification. Just at the beginning of the month, Mark and I had flown home to Virginia from Washington and Texas where we had visited with family. Mark walked right past airline security and right past airline employees and they never once asked him for his ticket. Not even when we boarded the plane. So, if anyone looked back on records of who was or wasn't on the flight that day, his name would not have been on that list. So, as you can see airport personnel were not exactly what we would consider competent. No offense to anyone who works at an airport, as its just from a personal experience.
I still to this day am annoyed that it takes so long to make it through security checkpoints and such, but in the end I am thankful that they are taking such precautions to ensure my safety. So the next time you complain about security and why you have to take off your shoes, just remember that really, its for your own good!
Taylor, obviously doesn't remember this day, but he knows about it. We were watching a program on TV the other day and it just so happened to be about 9/11. They were showing the live footage from that day, and he watched. He didn't know what to think and he started asking questions. I answered all of his questions in the best way I knew how. It wasn't easy explaining to a 7 year old that there are some people in this world that are so sinister that they want and like to kill people. They think they are doing good. He didn't really get the whole thing in the end, but he got the gist of it. I asked him if he remembered what happened with the buildings and the airplanes and he said he did. So, I told him he should wear red, white and blue to show his pride for his country. There was no hesitance or back talk. He just said that he thought that was a great idea. This morning he wore a red Hawaiian shirt to school with white flowers and blue surfboards on it. I'm sure they will talk about it at school today. He is such a compassionate boy and I'm sure that he will be a little sad about it, but overall I think he will have a better understanding of it all.
So, we should remember all of those innocent men, women and children that lost their lives on this day. Remember those brave men and women that went in to try and help all those in peril. Be thankful for your family and friends; and be thankful that we still live in a free country where we can say, dress and do pretty much what we want. Also be thankful for those men and women who have fought in the past and those that continue to fight for our rights. And when someone says they don't support war, you should remind them that men and women of all ages and all walks of life have lost their lives protecting this country and their right to say things like that. You don't have to support the war, but at the least you should support those that support you and the USA.

No comments: